This healthy aromatic baked fish is perfect for serving up alone for a small family lunch, or alongside cold meats and salad if your hosting lots of hungry people this Christmas.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 whole fish, about 450g each (eg tailor)
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots (spring onions), sliced diagonally, to garnish
Steamed rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Clean and scale the fish. Make 2 slashes in the thickest part of the fish flesh.
- Brush a roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil and place fish in the pan. Brush the flesh with remaining oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the fish are cooked through (the flesh will flake away easily when tested with a fork).
- Meanwhile, place the ginger, chilli, soy, vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water in a pan. Cook over low heat until the ginger and chilli have started to soften.
- Place the fish on a large plate and pour the Asian-style dressing over top. Garnish with shallots.
- Serve with salad.